Arnisadora – a female Arnis practitioner.
Of course, I’m not the one in the photo.😀
She’s Marian Rivera and she’s not really an arnisadora. She’s an actress who learned Arnis basics for her role in a TV series aired a few years back.
Anyway, the reason why I posted her photo was to discuss something for us ladies who aspire to learn Arnis.
As a beginner, I found this post So you want to get into Arnis?–stuff you need to get started both fun and helpful. It enumerated the following:
- sticks (of course!)
- water for hydration
- uniform (if required by your class) or usually just your regular workout shirt
Pretty minimalist. But I think ladies need more stuff, right?
Here’s my list:
- Ponytail holder– although my hair reaches down to my shoulders only, I feel more comfortable, cooler, and neater when my hair is tied.
- Sunblock – most Arnis classes here in the Philippines, mine included, are held in open air. Even if we stay in a shaded area, two hours or so of exposure to the elements can be ugly and unhealthful. Better safe than sorry.
- Sports bra – hand and body movements are executed better if there were no straps sliding to our arms, or shifting bands and cups
- Sports drinks – Water would be sufficient if the session is short. But since classes usually last more than an hour, I feel stronger and better hydrated if I take sports drinks. I need those electrolytes and carbohydrates.
- Cold and wet face towel – well, maybe this is more of a luxury than a requirement. But I love wiping my face with it after each class. Very refreshing.
Note: For footwear, I think we have these options:
- go barefoot- if you practice on a mat. (although, for hygiene purposes, some wear socks or martial art shoes)
- rubber shoes or sneakers