Things are looking up for Arnis tournaments. At least that’s what we think about the Arnis Pasindo tournaments because…drumroll please… we have NEW tournament rules! Tadah!
We”ll have the first taste of it on our March 9, 2014 tournament. (The other two tournaments will be in August and November 2014.)
Spearheading the change is Master Cris Pasindo, “I learned a lot from organizing and closely observing our past tournaments. I saw what needed to be changed.”
Last Sunday, January 12, there was an orientation and training of officials and coaches about the new rules.
Here’s what he said:
- To lessen the risk of injury. In our eight tournaments, we brought two players to the hospital, one with scrotal injury and the other, exhaustion. Thankfully, they turned out okay but we don’t want those to ever happen again
- To safeguard against cheating
- To make tournaments more understandable even to those who don’t practice Arnis
- To lessen scoring confusion
- To showcase traditional Arnis. We want to encourage athletes to learn Filipino Martial Art without mixing it with other martial arts.
Master Cris has decided that the March 2014 tournament’s participants will be limited to those whose coaches attended the seminar. “We don’t want confusion and disagreements on tournament day. We would respectfully invite the others to join the next tournaments, but for this very first testing of the new rules, we need to keep it small.”
Okay, I accept that.
It’s going to be a lean and mean tournament then.
With the vision of having safer, cleaner, and clearer tournaments, our Arnis world is really looking up.
You ask what my role in the seminar was?
I was in charge of registration, documentation, and my favorite, snacks!
Seminar Venue: Seminar Hall, Quezon Memorial Circle, Quezon City, Philippines