Most of them are soft-spoken, unassuming, and even slightly shy. If you didn’t know any better, you wouldn’t realize that you’re in the company of men who have contributed so much to Filipino Martial Arts.
During tournaments, I sometimes cringe when I see young athletes not paying attention when Maestros speak or do exhibitions. This has to change. We’ve got to learn about our own history.
Knowing and respecting the great men (and women) who were before us help us know ourselves better.
Maestros Present (Names alphabetically arranged)
- Aldave, Maximo (Aikiyoi International Martial Arts)
- Buanjug, Eldie (Buanjug Eskrima / Lapunti Arnis de Abanico)
- Del Valle, Roger (Magkakaibang Arnis del Valle)*
- Dela Cruz, Jeremias “Jerry” (Arnis Cruzada)*
- Espera, Henry (Rapido Realismo Kali)*
- Ibrahim, Jimmy (Falcon Consolidated Martial Arts)*
- Labaniego, Roberto (Eskrima Labaniego)*
- Magsico, Lorenzo (Arnis Reform National)*
- Raganas, Martin Jr. (Punta Engano)*
- Robas, Pepito (Otsotiros Balintawak / Arnis Robas)*
- Valleno, Lemio “Romy” (Valleno Arnis Club /LSAI)*
*brief write up below
Roger del Valle
- Born on August 8, 1952 in Labangon, Cebu
- Trained under Crispulo Atillo (Atillo Balintawak) and Filemon “Momoy” Canete (Doce Pares/ San Miguel Eskrima).
- Founded Magkakaibang Arnis Ka Roger based in Manila
Jeremias “Jerry” Dela Cruz
- Born on April 21, 1947 in Sta. Rita, Pampanga
- He initially trained in Karate (in Angeles, Pampanga) and in 1965 started training under Remy Presas (Modern Arnis). He became head instructor and taught in many schools and even in the American Military Bases in Angeles.
- In 1995, he founded Arnis Cruzada, based in Pasig City.
- Born on December 1, 1953 in Sorsogon, Bicol
- Trained under Antonio Ilustrisimo (1980’s), Alejandro “Andy” Abrian of the Moromoro Orabis Arnis Heneral, and a certain Mang Juan. GM Espera cannot remember Mang Juan’s surname but remembers that he headed Automatic Arnis based in Quiapo, Manila
- Founded Rapido Realismo Kali (RRK), based in Manila
- A Karate Sensei but very supportive of the Filipino Martial Arts
- Born on November 5, 1953 in Cotabato City
- Trained in Kuntao (with an “o” he emphasizes), Karate (under Dansalan Usman and then later, under Roberto Gonzales, the Karate King of the Philippine movies), and Silat under a certain Norodin
- He is now with the Falcon Consolidated Martial Arts (Shotokan Karate)
- Born on June 6, 1940 in Mambusao, Capiz
- First trained by his grandfather on the use of sibat (Filipino spear), then by his father on Largo Mano, Dumog, and some boxing. He later trained on Espada Y Daga under Benjamin Lema (Lightning Scientific Arnis)
- For more information, click here.
- National Training Director and Founder
- Arnis Reform National
Martin Raganas, Jr.
- Born on January 23, 1952 in Estaca, Minglanilla, Cebu
- His first Arnis instructor was his father, Martin Raganas Sr., who was a member of Cebu’s Doce Pares. He also trained in Boxing, and in Karate where he became a blackbelt. In the mid 70’s, he met Antonio (Tatang) Ilustrisimo and from then on trained with him. His training-mates were Tony Diego, Yuli Romo, and Romy Macapagal. Sometimes the four of them would stay in Tatang’s house in Tondo, Manila. (Trivia: Tatang’s and Tony Diego’s houses were seperated only by a wall.)
- Founded his own system, Punta Ingano, based in Manila.
- Born on May 31, 1952 in Hinigaran, Negros Occidental
- Trained in Balintawak in the 60’s under Arnulfo Mongcal (a student of the Balintawak founder, Venancio Bacon). Then he also trained in Modern Arnis under Roberto Presas, a relative who lived near them in Hinigaran. Roberto is the younger brother of Remy and Ernesto Presas. Roberto then put up his own system, the Hinigaran Arnis de Mano, of which Robas became a head instructor.
- Founded the Robas Balintawak System, based in Novaliches, Quezon City.
Lemio “Romy” Valleno
- Born on May 17, 1950 in Monreal Masbate
- Trained in Lightning Scientific Arnis by the founder himself, Benjamin Lema. Later he also trained under Roberto Labaniego (also LSAI).
- Founded the Valleno Arnis Club (LSAI), based in Makati City.
These two maestros modestly didn’t want to be put in the same category as the above so I’m writing them as a valuable addendum here:
- Born on January 17, 1974 in Manila
- Trained in MoroMoro Orabes Heneral, Modern Arnis, Ilustrisimo, Doce Pares, and Pekiti Tirsia
- Now the Director of the Loyola Schools Physical Education Program (Ateneo de Manila University) and a Senior Lecturer at the College of Human Kinetics (University of the Philippines, Diliman)
- Born on June 22, 1970 in Tondo, Manila
- Trained under Antonio “Tatang”Ilustrisimo and then later with Antonio “Tony” Diego. There was a time when he trained simultaneously with both of them.
- Now Chief Instructor of Kalis Ilustrisimo Repiticion Orihinal (KIRO), based in Manila
This is basic information. Soon, I hope to get more including how long they trained with each master, their philosophy, and some words of wisdom. What else can I ask them? Please give me suggestions.
Thank you for taking time to read The Deadly Dance.